Wednesday 15 August 2012

How I found Boo-Boo!

Boo-Boo entered my life in October 2008 and this is how it happened...

I used to often go out and play with friends, in the fields and woods surrounding our locality. One of these evenings, I was crossing the road to get back home that I saw a very cute Tibetan terrier pup stranded on the footpath, looking lost and frightened. The poor puppy was whimpering. I looked around to see if there was anyone who looked like they had lost a pup. Finding no one I went up to it and picked up the little ball of fuzz in my arms. It was so soft and lovely and I suddenly started feeling very excited. "How I wish I had a pet like him at home?"

I crossed the road and started looking for someone who may have lost their pet. It was possible that this little thing had run away from between the gaps in the gates of one of these houses. A small boy came out to meet me eagerly and took me to his neighbor's house. But in that house, I saw another Tibetan terrier pup. The owner came out to greet us and said that the one I was holding wasn't his dog and there was nobody else in the area that had the same breed. Clearly the little kid mistook the one on the street for the one frolicking inside his neighbor's yard.

So I quickly made up my mind to carry him home and warm him up a little bit. He was petrified by his harrowing experience on the street. I thought I'll get the word around and whoever had lost their dog could claim it in the next few days. But no one called, no one came.

In the meantime, this little thing had found a neat little hiding place under the sofa set where he hid for the first four days, coming out only to drink some warm milk and going back to his little corner. By and by our bong grew stronger and I realized, happily, that this was to become one of our family members.

Initially, my parents were against the idea. The house was very small and we hadn't yet recovered from the sad demise of my first pet, Jimmy. "There is no way we can have another dog", they argued, but  finally, they succumbed to my pleas with the only condition being that the pup would have to stay inside my room and would not be allowed to enter the kitchen or create havoc in the drawing room.

A hectic discussion ensued about what we were to call the little one. My sister suggested the name, Boo-Boo, the name of a Tibetan terrier in one of my favorite movies, Ace Ventura, in which Jim Carrey's character rescues the lost dog. I thought that the name was perfect, and my Tibetan terrier was Boo-Boo from that day forward.

Overjoyed, at the thought of having my own puppy, I prepared a bed in my room made of thick sheep wool blanket and tried to make Boo-boo sleep on it. He refused to listen to me and promptly disappeared as he always did whenever he thought something was being imposed on him. My mother and I knew that he slept under the sofa that night, but I was sure I could get him habituated to my room in the next few days.

Then my mother decided to get involved directly. I am not sure what magic was done while I was out, but after I retired to bed, the next evening, I saw Boo-Boo willingly stroll into my room and go up to the blanket my mother had dragged closer to the bed. During the night, my mother got up to check on him and found him curled up on my leg. My mother quietly went back to bed, and the next morning, removed the blanket from the floor. Boo-Boo had slept on my bed and was now my baby boy. From that day till today, Boo-Boo sleeps on my leg where it is easy for me to reach and nudge him if he snores too loudly! I love him, oh, so much.


Here's Boo-Boo, playing with his best friend, Poppy, an albino mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment